Monday, September 05, 2005

The Weekend

Wow, I haven't posted since I went to Yale for the evening. I think it's about time! Unfortunately, the time lapse means this will be more of a summary post than a content post.

My weekend has been absolutely lovely. Friday night I hopped off to Yale to see Safety Mix perform and see Caleb...not perform. The mix was pretty darn good. Lauren Hackney turned the audience quirk suggestion of Hurricane Katrina into tasteful hilarity. Molly's quirk of "has delayed reactions" just worked incredibly well. Of course, Austin's usual commitment to character made his every move a pleasure to watch. And at the end I got to participate in pick-up lines, where I received a few laughs and a few groans. Very exciting. The evening started out with an Ivy Noodle dinner with Caleb, after which we got coffee at K2? and walked with it up to science hill where we sat at a picnic table under the stars. Aw. After the show and a brief stop at the Dwight Hall Jam, where I had several musical orgasms listening to Shades sing Amen/We Shall Overcome, we went to Caleb's friends' place. First we hung out at a party with loud music and bad beer, then chilled with the friends and drank scotch. They were good folks, especially Nat, the one Caleb knows from math classes. He, too, is hot, and he, too, has a girlfriend. Unlike Caleb (thank God) he chain smokes like a mo-fo. One of the other friends was pretty cool...he was the scotch collector. The other seemed cool at first, but his cynicism started to piss me off pretty quickly. We headed back to Caleb's room and played a non-competitive (at my request) game of chess before drifting off to sleep. In the morning there was breakfast at the copper kitchen, then I chilled with Reiman and, eventually, Claire at Reiman's enormous new apartment.

Seeing both Caleb and Reiman was really cool. Things are always better with Reiman when I'm not taking classes with him and there's nothing to prove. As of now, there's absolutely nothing to prove and just shootin' the ol' bull with him was a joy. Yay, Reimamurti. Caleb is as awesome as ever and, of course, as taken as ever. Some people seem to think--it's not a poor assumption--that I hate Leslie, even though I've never met her. While I'll play along, I don't want to spoil anyone's fun, I actually have nothing but warm feelings for her. I would never have started the emotionally intimate and generally flirtatious relationship I have with Caleb if I wasn't comfortable in the fact that he's unavailable. If he were single I would have thought "no need, out of my league...don't want to scare the boy" and probably just had a few superficial chats in the dining hall. Since he's taken, I had no problem bonding with him...I'm certainly not out of his league for friendship. I'm not out of anyone's league for friendship. I'm awesome. Second reason why I'm grateful for Leslie's presence: Caleb really seems to like her, and he's loyal to her, and that makes me feel good about Caleb's attitude toward women. I could never date the vast majority of my male friends because I see the way they think about women, and while they're not, like, abusive, I just wouldn't want to be on the other end of their confused and somewhat messed up feelings. Caleb thinks lots of girls are attractive, but he really cares about his girlfriend and is committed to her. That's the kind of attitude I'm looking for in a man. Plus, Leslie's a park ranger. How cool is that?

The rest of the weekend was pretty chill. Lots of fun at two very relaxing parties: Alisa's apartment warming and Adam's birthday. My friends have great taste in friends. Both parties had a very warm feel, where everyone was dorky and nobody trying to seem too cool. I'm not going to be best friends with all of the attendees, but I felt comfortable with them. It was also good to see Josiah at Adam's party. I feel like I'd have a crush on him if I knew him better. But he's going to Costa Rica to write speeches for the once and (possibly) future president. Sweet to the sweet.

Yesterday I met Greg for coffee at Slave and showed him around The Chester. He and Vaughan finally met, albeit extremely briefly. V pointed out a benefit concert performance of On The 20th Century. I totally want to go, but the cheapest tickets still available are $250. And that's a little much. And by a little I mean at least $150 too much.

Well, there's the summary. Tomorrow I'll think.

No comments: