Saturday, September 17, 2005

Just the perfect blend...ship...

I hung out with Greg today, and we saw a showcase of songs from NYU Musical Theater alums, including those of our musical theater instructor. The show was of somewhat varied quality. I'm happy to say that Sam's numbers were among the best, with due credit to the awesome Laura Bell Bundy, who performed them. I also realized I say some HORRIBLE things around Greg. I could be lynched for some of my comments (for anecdotes, drop an IM). Some people say they like their friends or their boyfriends because they like who they are around them. I suppose this is a valid point. I even suppose that, in a way, I really like myself when I'm around the friends I say horrible things to (greg, vaughan, cat). But I think there's another aspect of friendship, which is that your close friends always give you the benefit of the doubt. A close friendship allows you the luxury of making truly borderline comments without a friend losing faith in your overall goodness. I think with these friends, especially, I have that kind of understanding: They know I'm a generally good person. I know they're generally good people. So we have knowledge of a certain half-joke that underlies our conversation. The bad comments we make aren't said without any sincerity, but they're not really vicious. More often then not, they're casual observations framed in the most biting style, as to create the greatest amusement for the other person. We don't have to laugh or express ourselves with extreme sarcasm or levity in order to clarify that we're not totally serious. The more sincere the tone, the more amusing the effect. It's the trust that makes it work. I appreciate that...so thank you, friends, for letting me be awful.

No comments: