Monday, September 26, 2005

Immersion

I began work today. I'm an adult. Pause. Pause ... Pause. OK, now you can burst out laughing.

Today was "get acquainted with all the science that's happened in the past week" day. I think I doubled my knowledge of technology, learning how to get and browse RSS feeds and use an awesome bookmarking service called del.icio.us (oh, what an economical use of an extension!). It's actually pretty awesome...works much like the gmail tagging system, but as many people as would like to can view the server and anyone with the password can edit it. I'll link you all to our main site when it gets up and running, which will be next Monday. I'll be writing one article per day. That's crazy. I mean, I can probably research via the internet and write up that quickly, but any and all interviewing and fact checking will make this one hell of a process. I'm looking forward to the challenge, though.

More than anything, I'm looking forward to the immersion in a field. I'm going to spend the next two months eating, drinking and breathing science news. I will be a science news machine. I think that's pretty exciting...to really gain a solid background in a specific field in a two month period. Now, of course, as soon as I start slacking off, assuming I don't continue directly with science news after it ends, my knowledge base will become completely outdated. Maybe they'll hire me and I'll continue with the whole thing...who can tell what the future holds?

The atmosphere was all right...hopefully I'll warm up to the people and all. Two things have to change: 1. I need to be friendlier. I'm not a friendly person. I'm a nice person, and I'm a good friend, and I'm very dynamic when I'm around my friends, but I'm crap with strangers and people I only know moderately. I just need to loosen the fuck up. 2. I need to not feel greasy. Whenever I wake up to early, I feel greasy. Sure, not immediately after my shower, but somehow I grime up over the course of the day. This just doesn't happen when I sleep until 11, but it really makes me feel incompetent and groggy for the entire day. I never woke up today. If I felt awake, that would help the friendliness. Damn the grime!

I'm not in much of a mood for writing tonight. Tomorrow my hands will be bound to the keyboard and I will be Seed's article grinding bitch. That will probably either make me totally sick of writing come the evenings or make me ache to philosophize in my writing and use beautiful, florid, masturbatory language. I think we can all bet on the latter.

No comments: