Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Celebrities! I Want Celebrities!

Despite having a monster of a headache (if I actually vomit soon, I'll stamp it a migraine), I'm in quite a good mood. Tonight I met two of my favorite celebrities. Well, maybe "met" is a stretch, but I had contact with two handsome, smart, successful, opinionated-to-the-point-of-arguable-dickishness men in two VERY different professions. I stood within mere feet, nay inches, of Richard Dawkins and Michael Lucas.

Dawkins (young, studly, and pixellated here) was giving a talk at the New York Academy of Sciences on his new book, The God Delusion. I know a bunch of his arguments, so he didn't say too much that was new, but his deadpan-ish humor works very nicely in his voice. So that was a plus of seeing some of the more colorful passages performed live. Perhaps the greatest benefit was the conversation with some of my work buddies both before and after the talk. Lee and I discussed the differences between agnosticism and atheism and whether atheism is an arrogant position and any more tenable than religious belief. It was a good discussion, and I feel my brand of Godlessness and Dawkins's were expressed fairly well (they're not identical, but they certainly have common aspects). And Lee proved a very solid conversation partner. The dear-departed-boss was there with his very cool gf, so it was good to see and chat with both of them. I got Dawkins to sign my book, but as I was at the end of the line, he was a little grumpy by the time I got there. Still, I congratulated him on a good showing on the Report.

Michael Lucas (barely safe for work) was a more casual encounter. Greg had already informed me that he was to be leading gay men's chorus bingo a couple of block from where I live. I was walking back from the subway, and a cab turned, and the profile I saw in back was unmistakable. I did what any red-blooded internet-raised kid would do and followed that cab. He got off at the wrong corner and started looking around a little aimlessly. I tried to direct him, but by the time I got near, he was already getting directions on his cell. When he got off the phone, though, I introduced myself. I told him I was looking forward to his new film. I wonder if it freaked him out that I knew he was going to host bingo at the 9th Ave. Bistro. I kind of hope so. I like freaking people out that way.

And to add, um, compliment to physical intactness, one of the chicks from inkycircus left a positive comment over here. Check 'em out...they're one of the best science blogs out there. Although if you like science blogs, you've probably already seen a link to them from one of the folks at the Site of Power. Must always plug the site of power.

No comments: