Sunday, August 28, 2005

Up and Running to NYC Tomorrow Morning

As for the first part of the title of this entry, my website, www.maggiewittlin.com, is up and running! I think it's pretty stellar, and even given that you probably got here via that site, I feel I should tell you to go and explore. It's awesome. I think.

And for the second part of the title, tomorrow we move Natalie into her dorm. Aaah! I can't believe she's going to college...not because she seems too young, but actually because she seems too old. She's not wildly excited for college, because she lived on her own for most of the summer and, to be honest, most of the year. She doesn't really want for freedom, and the work she's been doing at the voice has been intellectually stimulating. On the other hand, she's not dreading college, because she's used to most aspects of it. I really hope she finds things she loves at Barnard. And people she loves. And I hope she doesn't get wigged out by the simple fact that she is going to be in a FRESHMAN class with other FRESHMEN (freshwomyn?), half of whom will probably need to be bitch-slapped. I'm sure she'll be OK, though. I think college will be bad in exactly the ways she's resilient to and be good in exactly the ways she needs. At least I really hope so. Only the best for my sister.

Yesterday I saw The Pillowman with Greg. My God. That might have been the best show I've ever seen. No, really, I think it might have been. There were so many incredible moments, and the whole show just had my emotions and thoughts on a string. Except for the end of the first act (which was probably actually the second out of three acts), which involved a bit of a cliche that was supposed to be pulled off as shocking, I think. But besides that, it was awesome. And spending time with Greg was, as always, great. He seemed a bit insulted that he hadn't yet been mentioned on the blog, so I'm going to chat about Greg for a bit.

I wondered why I hadn't said anything about him yet, considering I've spent more time with him than pretty much anyone else this summer. I'll venture a couple of guesses. First, my relationship with Greg is very simple: I just plain like him. I have a good time when I'm with Greg. We have a lot (beyond interests and into mannerisms, etc) in common. And while I've become somewhat closer with him recently, this isn't much of a surprise. I've always known Greg was great. And I don't want to jump him, so that eliminates that motive for talking about someone ad nauseum. Second, Greg's going to remain more of a fixture as the year begins than pretty much anyone else. I guess there won't be any sudden changes in Ethan's life either, but Greg's already working and makes lots of time for me. Other people are already elsewhere or will soon be starting school or some other activity that will decrease their availability. So I feel confident that Greg's sticking around. And third, why should I be justifying my lack of discussion on the subject of Greg? I feel like I've been talking about two or three friends almost exclusively since I started writing this thing. Really, the blog is fucking self-centered. Because I'm fucking self-centered. Because I spend my entire day with me, and everything that's done to me affects me, and I care very deeply about me.

So, friends, the moral of that paragraph was: just because I don't talk about you, it doesn't mean I don't love you. It's just a function of me loving me somewhat more and of me being secure in my relationship with you. Which is important. So feel proud to be wholly absent from the blog! But don't get too scared if there are twenty references to you already. It doesn't mean anything too bad. Probably. Moohoowahaha...no, really. It doesn't.

Ugh, I have to wake up early tomorrow.

No comments: