Friday, May 20, 2005

How to Feel Free

I recall someone mocking a survey that said Americans feel most free when driving their cars. Not when exercising our right to vote, not when waving banners or speaking out against government. No no, we feel freest when driving our cars. Well, of course we do...what do you expect? Freedom is a sense of possibility. Voting's so stuffy, and you can hardly feel the alternative while you're doing it. When we drive, we're in motion, we see stasis all around us, we're passing the earth in a race.

I exercised my favorite freedom tonight when I left the Last Chance dance without a word. For those wandering aboard, the last chance dance is a dance for the seniors that is theoretically our last opportunity to hook up with someone from our class. You put a down a list of "crushes" and if you match with someone, they tell you. I, of course, didn't match with anyone (save one friend who put his friends down), so I didn't have any person as a goal during the dance. I went for an hour, had some cheese that left me with atrocious breath, drank to get rid of breath, failed, danced for a bit, and walked out without saying goodbye to anyone. I love doing that. I feel so oppressed when I have to say goodbye...what a great feel to walk out. To realize that you'd rather be home than here and walk.

And now I feel depressed, sure, but I didn't feel any better at the dance.

No comments: